Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

outlook.pst file

Status
Not open for further replies.

drm184

MIS
May 25, 2001
US
I am swithing machines at a workstation. The old machine was running win98se, but the new machinge is win2000 prof. I wanted to move the users email message over to the new system as well so I copied the outlook.pst file from the old machine to the new one. When I connect it, the personal contacts show up but not the old email messages (such as those in inbox, deleted items, etc.). Do I need to bring over another file or is there something else I didn't do right? Thanks for the help.

The contacts and mail are all kept in the same pst file unless the client was moving the contact info to another pst file. Did you look at the Outlook profile information on the older system to make sure you have set it up the same?

Is there an Exchange server involved? joegz
"Sometimes you just need to find out what it's not first to figure out what it is."

Did you remember to do an archive before copying the .pst file over?..the .pst is only a personal folder, the data you see in the inbox, calendar, sent messages, deleted items etc is all located in the information store on the exchange server..you need to archive (or export) the users mailbox to a .pst..this will copy all the info from the server to a local .pst file....it is most likely that the .pst file you copied over to the w2k box was an older .pst that only had the contact list archived..

hope this helps :)

>>outlook.pst
is a Personal Folder. it is usually saved in your local HD.

To move your inbox email -> move Outlook.ost or just connect with the server when you first launch outlook.
but, you sound like you connected already, so rename
[ Outlook ] folder under c:\document and settings\username\local setting\application data\microsoft\outlook.
and relaunch your outlook. move your personal folder(outlook.pst) to the newly created [ Outlook ] folder.

Also, to add something here. It is possible that the .pst file when it was exported (was this exported to a .pst file?) you need to make sure during the export process that you highlight "outlook Today and at the bottom of window make sure you checkmark "include subfolders". I would try and go to his workstation that has the .pst file in question and try to do the export of his mail to another pst file.

On another side note. If the users email is already on the exchange server than why would you even need to even bring over his pst file? The PST file will only help you if you:
(A) Delete his mailbox on Exchange server
(B) If you have personal folders setup in his outlook. Then you would copy the .pst file to his new system.

It does not matter if you are setting up a new workstation for him. When you setup his outlook2000 profile on his new system, when you connect to Exchange Server it will pull down his mail. You will have his Inbox, Sent Items, Deleted Items, and Contacts.

So you should first connect to outlook and see if all his mail and contacts are there. Then you may find you don't need to copy in the pst file.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back