Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Outlook.pst and Ghost Restore

Status
Not open for further replies.

burgerbyte

Programmer
May 9, 2007
NO
I periodically go back to a 'clean' operating system state, by restoring from a OS image that I create with Ghost. (I add the latest Windoze patches, and save again) This works great, been doing it for years.

But Outlook is a problem... Before I overwrite with my OS backup, I save my Outlook.pst file to a different hard drive partition. My restore point Outlook has never been run, and so of course the Outlook folder doesnt exist yet.

My question is how to use my backed up Outlook.pst file with a new start of Outlook? If I manually create an Outlook folder and copy Outlook.pst there... when Outlook starts, it creates Outlook1.pst, and has no idea about my original messages. If I close/open Outlook (and possiply reboot??) suddenly, all my messages are available, but not the contacts. When I close Outlook, both Outlook.pst and Outlook1.pst have new time stamps. And if I try to remove either file, Outlook won't start.

How can I set up a convenient way of handling the Outlook.pst file? I dont want to have to import... I have too many folders within Outlook.pst. Perhaps a better solution would be to specify an outlook folder on a path directly to the additional hard drive partition that remains intact. But it seems Outlook still wants to maintain a file in the C:\Docs n Settings\Local... \Outlook folder as 'default'.

Suggestions???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back