Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Outlook password prompt

Status
Not open for further replies.

jacobBrit

MIS
Jun 16, 2003
GB
I have a couple of users who suffer from this strange prompt. What is happening is, once logged into Outlook, after a short time, it will prompt for login details again.
This is users attached via DSL to our exchange server in an exchange environment. They are using Windows 2000 and Outlook 2002.

It appears to the user like they are being kicked out of outlook, but why is it asking them for login details again?

How do they authenticate on the network? Do the do full authentication when connecting or do they use cached settings? Could be that the exchange server cant confirm user credentials between the PDC and client computer.

Yeah - But how do you fix it, or cant you?

This sounds like a problem we experience with some of our users who dial in. What we've found is that when the password on their PCs or laptops at home get out of sync with the copy on our controllers, they can connect to our network, but their access will be severely restricted (certain drives unavailable, mail server prompting for password etc).

To cure it, I reset their domain password to their username and uncheck the box that prompts them to change it. Get them to log on to our network (using their username for their password) and ask them to press the 'Change Password' button on the window that pops up when you press ALT+CTRL+DEL. Then I get them to log off and reboot. This works everytime for us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back