Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Outlook not sending mail 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rajat23

MIS
Jun 24, 2004
US
HI,
I am having problems sending mail using MS Outlook, I can successfully receive emails but cannot send. It returns an error "Unable to connect to server", I have checked and re-checked all settings but I am unable to do so. I read somewhere that this could be due to Port 25 being blocked. Is there any other port that I can use for sending emails or is there a way to open this port?
I also attempted to telnet to mail.optonline.net 25 but was unsuccessful whereas I could do the same to port 110.

I use SBC Yahoo DSL to connect to the internet.
Please help
Thanks in advance,
Raj.

YOU don't need port 25 to send, it is outgoing anyway.
A server needs port 25 incoming, if you were to change your setting, you can never mail anywhere.

What you need to do is go over your settings again, double check your ISP settings and see if you do not need to add Outgoing Server authentication, if the SMTP server is not the one from your ISP.

Marc
[sub]If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, expect random guesses or no replies at all. Please specify details.
Free Tip: The F1 Key does NOT destroy your PC!
[/sub]

How Do I Get Great Answers To my Tek-Tips Questions? See faq222-2244

It might be port 25 being blocked or something totally different. I've got the same problem. I use an SMTP server on port 25 outgoing and a POP3 server for incoming on port 110. I use Microsoft Outlook Express and XP Home and I haven't been able to send an email for over a week. I get an error code returned of: The connection to the server has failed. Account: 'XXX.XXX.XXX', Server: 'XXX.XXX.XXX', Protocol: XXX, Port: XXX, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10061, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E. If you put the error code in Google you'll get loads of hits advising you from everything from checking your Outlook settings to reinstalling Outlook ( a complete and totaL pain in XP ).

Bill MacFarlane
Network Analyst CCNP

I've struggled with this problem for months and finally spent the time to troubleshoot it. The following steps should be taken:

1. Double-check your account settings just to be sure.
2. Make sure your virus scanner is disabled. (Just while trouble-shooting to rule it out)
3. If 1 and 2 don't work, as they didn't for me, try your ISP's smtp server rather than your email account's smtp server. I have 5 email accounts through 4 different companies, and only my isp's account would send. So if your email is me@a.com, but you are connecting to the internet through the b.com ISP, you need to set your a.com account's smtp server to smtp.b.com or mail.b.com or whatever it is. This sounds screwy, but after hours and months of fighting it, it fixed this same problem for me.

I hope this helps. Microsoft explains the same problem at

for info, some isp's will block smtp if you withold your telephone number when dialling. (caller id) this helps stop spammers sending massive amounts of mail from an anonymous connection. i spent hours trying to figure out why freeserve/wannadoo wouldn't allow me to send mail but i could receive.

No Pain No Gain

I had this problem yesterday in Outlook Express, I could receive but not send. I deleted my email account settings, set it back up again and the email went. Hope you are this lucky.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back