Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Outlook Net Folders on small LAN

Status
Not open for further replies.

electron

Programmer
Nov 4, 1999
AU
Hi; I have a small network of 3 computers hooked up at home using 100Mb/s cable and NIC's and a hub. The network works okay. We can see shared folders etc. between the p.c.'s. I have been trying to get Outlook 2000 to send e-mail on this LAN. I tried setting up 'Exchange', but to cut a long story short, couldn't get it to work. Then I saw Microsoft's article on Net Folders, i.e. mail for small networks, (c.f. Microsoft's KBA 195867). I can't get that to work either. Has anyone played around with this stuff? The problem arises when you share the nominated folder in Outlook which should hopefully contain the internal LAN messages between the p.c.'s. At this point Outlook wants to add a name from the address book, (won't let me type in a simple name manually), and it wants an e-mail address! There is no e-mail address for each of us on this internal LAN!!!!. If I create a bogus name in my address book and I give it an e-mail address, (any old thing as long as it is in the format of #####@###.### Outlook is happy), and then Outlook sends this 'invitation' messsage to the nominated name I have just created, by putting the message in the shared folder. Nothing is said about creating the same setup on the other p.c.'s but I presume you have to do the same thing there, which is what we did. However the invitation messages never get through to the other p.c.'s. Why doesn't it work?
Thanks. Bye.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back