Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Outlook - missing messages in pst

Status
Not open for further replies.

nolando

IS-IT--Management
Jan 29, 2003
AU

i have a pst that appears to be hiding a bunch of messages

the pst shows up with file size of 336 MB in windows. outlook reports 1177 messages and "show folder size" shows 265 MB...

i have tried :
1) scanpst,
2) EasyRecovery FileRepair (this fell over when attempting the repair
3) edit the first byte of the pst (as suggested on slipstick) - then run scanpst

scanpst reports the 1177 messages as well

can anyone suggest steps i can take to get at the missing 70 MB ??

cheers

I've noticed that Explorer and Outlook don't report the same size also. I don't know why, but I know I'm not missing any messages and just figured it for a bug or different definitions of 'size'. If anyone else has posts similar info, I wouldn't worry about it.

i have gone through several other psts and although there is some difference, its normally of the order of one or two percent...

for instance i have a pst that windows reports as 1.212 GB and outlook reports it as 1.2

in the pst that i have problems with, the difference is in the region of 20%

Have you compacted the folders? If you have deleted data from the folder you have to compact the folder to recover the unused space. joegz
"Sometimes you just need to find out what it's not first to figure out what it is."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back