Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Outlook messages not getting to one particular organisation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stroppy

IS-IT--Management
Jul 19, 2002
AU
Hello,

Please redirect me to correct forum if this is incorrect. THe number of forums has been growing so much over the years I don't know which one to select.

Context: I'm using OUtlook, not Exchange. We have a peer to peer network, nothing special, no IT dept only our ISP.

Problem: My messages are not getting through to one particular organisation, in fact 3 email addresses so far at that organisation.

I have been emailing that org for around 4 years. They recently changed mail server and around the same time my email doesn't get delivered to their server.

Hold On!! Keep reading....

So, I can send messages to anyone else, never had a problem, except for the odd spam filter as happens rarely.

I asked Tech Support at our ISP to send them a message...it went through. I think the other organisations IT guy is being a bit hedgy as he didn't tell me where it went exactly, to the person it was sent to or stuck in Junk.

Anyway. I do have another email address that I'm setting up and getting to learn aobut, that's our domain mail server. However, even messages from that "from" address don't get through, but they do to other orgs.

I'm not getting back "Delivery REceipts" and of course, no "Read REceipts". Is there any way I can track messages to see where they are getting stuck? The IT guy siad my mail may be getting stuck somewhere, so hence my Q can I track it?

I'm not an IT person per se but can follow instructions. Advice on this is most welcome.

M

One place I would start looking is in the mail application, remote and local. Most, if not all, mail applications have preferences/security default setting ie: block/allow 'username@domain'. From what you describe, your ISP can send mail to the remote server however you cannot suggests that some local (you) and remote settings may not set correctly.

Thanks Polar, not sure if you're suggesting there's anything I can do about it. I assume you're talking about the Whitelist or HostAllow/Block etc lists. I told their tech guy to simply add my address to the "good" list. So far he's turned down the spam filter and now turned it up again ...and now one of the people at the other end sent me a message which bounced back, though earlier in the day she sent me a message. I'm thinking he's stuffing up the mail server!!

I'm just going to have a send a delivery and read request.

Will see how it pans out.
M

Polar, he says he's using Exchange 2003. I guess I don't really care once this project is finished. It is so annoying having to communicate via fax and phone.

M

Stroppy said:
I think the other organisations IT guy is being a bit hedgy as he didn't tell me where it went exactly, to the person it was sent to or stuck in Junk.
Whether it goes to their Inbox or Junk folder is really the same thing, from a delivery stand point.

Stroppy said:
I'm not getting back "Delivery REceipts" and of course, no "Read REceipts".
Read receipts should NEVER be used for diagnostic purposes. They pose no technical value, as most people opt to not send read receipts. Read receipts do not show that a message was read. A message can be read, or just opened, and the sender may never get a read receipt.

Use the telnet method listed here: to send a test message to the receiving side. That should shed some light on what's going on.

Stop by the new Tek-Tips group at LinkedIn. Come say hi, look for a job, have some fun.
Pat Richard MVP

Thanks for that, checking it out.

M

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back