Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Outlook keeps asking for activation 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

IS-IT--Management
Dec 5, 2002
GB
Hi,
I have got a strange problem with Microsoft Outlook XP. For one of the users it keeps brining up the activation wizard on startup saying that it has detected a significant change in the computer configuration.

This only happens if a particular users logs on and it happens on at least 3 different computers but only those with Outlook XP installed. On computers with Outlook 2003 the user doesn't have a problem. (We use roaming profiles here).
Also, all other Office programs work fine at the same time and do not require activation (Word, Access, Excel).
I thought, OK, the hell with it, let it do its thing and go ahead with the reactivation. However, this doesn't work - the activation wizard says it has completed OK but Outlook still remains in the locked mode - it is not possible to send emails, save attachments etc. And on the next restart it brings the activation dialogue again!

I guess that this must be related to the user profile because all other users can use Outlook without a problem. An interesting thing is that the user actually has administrator's privilidges on the computers while the other users don't, and the user used to be able to run Outlook on those computers without a problem.

This is Outlook XP with SP3 installed.
Does anybody here know whether it is possible to get this fixed without recreating the user's profile?

Thank you.

Hi, does this happen on every machine the user logs onto?
It maybe worth logging onto the user's pc's and removing the local profiles from all machines they've used. (if you haven't done this already).

This way you know for sure that she's using the latest profile and the one that's on the server.

Let me know how you get on.

Paul

Hi Paul, thanks for your reply.
Yes, I suppose that the problem was occuring on all computers running Offix XP (as oposed to those running Office 2003). I only tried 3 of them though.

I have now created a backup copy of the user's profile and created a new profile for him. Outlook is now running fine so there must have been something in the profile which was setting Outlook off.
However, I think that I don't have time to solve the mysteries behind this so the user will have to put up with recreating his personal settings...

Thanks for your help.

Tomas

No worries, if it fixed the problem, star me! hehe

Glad it worked

Paul

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back