Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Outlook Journal no longer tracks time spent on Office items

Status
Not open for further replies.

techas

MIS
Apr 16, 2002
US
We run a 120+ user network on 2kserver, running xp, 2k, and nt clients. A user who originally was using Outlook 2002 journal on NT4SP6 to track office items NOT associated with contacts, now no longer can track the amount of time spent on particular items. I have read what little MS has on the issue, and thier claim is if you check any or all "also record items from" items and I quote-- "The Also record files from option automatically records activity in the programs listed, but it does not associate this activity with a particular contact." then the user should have journal entries for any office items accesed. But, when reading other documentation concernng outlook and I quote again-- "Journal automatically records actions that you choose RELATING to the contacts that you choose and places the actions in a timeline view. In addition to tracking Microsoft Outlook items, such as e-mail, or other Microsoft Office documents, such as Microsoft Word or Microsoft Excel files, you can keep a record of any interaction you want to remember—even something that is not located on your computer, such as a phone conversation or a handwritten letter you mailed or received." So now the user in question has multiple journal entries with the amount of time spent already tracked, but after the upgrade to XP, no journal entries will continue to track the time spent, the timer never starts. These item are not associated with any contacts. How would I return these journal entries into the list of items journal would track the amount of time spent on? Or am I missing something about Journal that would make it all seem simple?
Hope anyone can help, before we lose any money,
Techas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back