Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Outlook Issue on PIX 506E IPSEC VPN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 1, 2004
US
Having a bit of a problem with one particular Exchange server at my organization and getting Outlook to work.

Have 2 e-mail servers at the location I am using the VPN to get to - I can map drives, remote in, ping hosts, etc. just about anything I need to.

When my exchange mailbox is on exchange server A - it works just fine. Now, I'm migrating all mailboxes to a new exchange server - exchange server B. When I move my mailbox to exchange server B, and attempt to open my mailbox using Outlook, I get the error: "Unable to display the selected folder or item. You do not have permission to log on".

Now on this same server - OWA works just fine, Outlook works fine internally when at that location also. I only see this issue if my mailbox is on the New server (exchange B) and I'm in with VPN. Then I get this error. As I type this, I get this error, but have a drive mapped to the C$ share on that same server, so it's not a permissions problem as far as I can tell (since I can log on when actually logged into the domain at work).

If I move my mailbox back to server A now - it will work fine.

I also noted another odd problem, perhaps not - but I feel I should mention it too. Earlier I was checking into why some drives couldn't be mapped using the computer name - well, I found DNS doesn't seem to be doing lookups across the VPN. This is an odd problem - I can remote into one of the DNS servers and use nslookup for a query. It works just fine - say I type "server a" it replies with the proper IP address - so I know DNS Is working fine on the server.

Now - I am connected at home using the VPN. I open a command prompt - start up nslookup. It gives me the nslookup prompt - even telling me it's using the correct DNS server at work.

Server: dns.domain.com.local
Address: 192.168.2.3

I try the exact same query and I get this:
"*** dns.domain.com.local can't find server a: Non-existent domain"

It's clearly using the server at work for DNS - why would I not be able to get the same result for the query I tried when using RDC on the server? I could see this if it was using my ISP's DNS, but that's not the case.

Well - that issue's no big deal, WINS is currently resolving host names.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back