Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Outlook is sending multiple copies of the same email 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

pfloryvo

Technical User
Oct 20, 2009
US
Please help. My Outlook is sending multiple copies of emails when I have an attachment in the email. It will send out about 14 copies to myself and the recipient until I go in and disable the outgoing, and then delete the actual email itself from the outgoing box. Emails without attachments do not have this problem.

Also, I receive copies of the read receipt as well. How do I disable the read receipts?

For sending multiple e-mails - how large is the attachment?

Fore receiving read receipts - what version of Outlook?

Hope this helps.

Please help us help you. Read Tek-Tips posting polices before posting.

The attachments are usually 8mg. So far, anything under 2mg has no problem, it just seems that it is with large attachments that the problem occurs.

I am using MS Office Outlook 2007 and VISTA. I've searched high & low and can't seem to turn off the read receipts.

If the read receipts weren't enough of a problem, the system also sends me a duplicate of all emails that I send out, so you can see how this would bog things down.

Any suggestions?

Is it happening to one particular e-mail address that you're sending to or is it happening to all e-mail addresses that you send to if the attachment is over 2 MB? Does the recipient actually receive the e-mail?

Depending on the e-mail provider that you're sending to you may be exceeding their attachment size limits or the storage limit for the e-mail account that you're sending to. An 8 MB attachment could translate into a 10 MB to 11 MB attachment when the encoding is added.

If the intended recipient's e-mail provider has an attachment limit of 5 MB then your e-mail would get rejected. I've seen instances where, for some unknown reason, the e-mail wouldn't get marked as being rejected and would continuously be re-sent.

Hope this helps.

To disable Read Receipts in Outlook 2007 go Tools ->Options and on the Preferences tab click on E-mail Options. In the E-mail Options window that opens click on Tracking Options. Uncheck the box next to "Read Receipt" if you do not want to automatically request a read receipt for every e-mail that you send.

Hope this helps.

I followed the steps outlined in your thread to disable the read receipt but when I got to the Tracking Options page, the read receipt box was not checked. I checked it, and then unchecked it to see if it would make a difference and nothing, still no difference.

The multiple emails is happening with any email address so long as a large attachment is included in the email. The recipient is receiving the email and the multiple emails as well. I've actually had some people really upset with me because they thought I was sending out the multiple emails intentionally.

Are you getting read receipts from everyone or just one particular person? It could be that the person has their e-mail set to automatically send read receipts.

Actually, I think that I got it backward? What is your e-mail attachment limit. It could be that when you send an e-mail it exceeds your outgoing attachment limit and even though the email is received by the recipient its being registered as sent by your e-mail system.

Hope this helps.

Try to send using Webmail. If OK, problem could be Outlook cache under your profile. I'm assuming you use it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back