Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Outlook is retrieving data from the Microsoft Exchange Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

Redsfan

Programmer
May 19, 2003
GB
If this is not the correct forum please advise.

We have a SonicWall TZ170 Enhanced. I have just upgraded the firmware to the latest release from quite an old one.

Users connect via a Global VPN Client. Recently users have experienced problems accessing their mailbox remotely. (This was also the case prior to the firmware upgrade). The VPN connects OK. They launch their email client and Outlook connects. It then hangs with message 'Outlook is retrieving data from the Microsoft Exchange Server'. If they hit send receive after compiling an email it hands at 50% for ever retrieving data from the server. These users have a folder hierarchy of Folders & Sub-Folders with their inbox, each folder containing a number of items (some more than others).Now this may not be a sonic issue but how does the VPN work regards transmitting packets. These users have large mailboxes (2.5GB + with OST files to match) and use outlook 2003 in cached mode.
Thanks in advance,
Phil.

How is there mailserver input in the profile setup, by server name or by IP address?

I'm wondering if it's an issue with the VPN not sending broadcast traffic so the name is not resolving.

Try the Ip and see what happens.

Thanks for the reply. The VPN connection works fine. Each user has a modified host file to aide dns resolution. I feel this is more a mailbox size issue with the remote user (large mailbox / large ost file / multiple items). From what I have read this bares all the hallmarks.

I have implemented VPN over DHCP to help connection further.
Thanks,
Phil.

Redsfan, did you ever solve your Sonicwall VPN Outlook problem? We have the same issue runing Sonicwall Global VPN Clinet 3.1.0.556.

Users can establish VPN connection to server and run applications on the server, but Outlook hangs frequently. The only resolution which has worked is re-starting the exchange service. But this is only a temporary solution as you can imagine.

Thanks for any info.

Hi. I looked towards it being more an exchange issue. I ran exmon over a period of days to see what the server was doing when users were connected. I then tweaked the boot.ini file to include the 3gb switch for the virtual address space on the exchange server. I then looked at the individuals mailboxes. From what I read it is not the size of the users mailbox it is the number of items within the most common folders (inbox, sent items, deleted items etc). Microsoft recommends not more than 5000 items in each folder: Here is an article.......
Regards,
Phil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back