Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Outlook freezing on connection to Exchange

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shay2501

MIS
Jun 25, 2003
US
I have a problem with one of my offices. Their Outlook clients are freezing when they attempt to connect to the Exchange 2000 server. The only solution is to reboot the Exchange server. Then about two days later, the problems start up again. They are connected to the main location (where the Exchange server is housed) by a VPN over a 384 kbs DSL line. They have their own Domain controller which is also a Global Catalog server. Another interesting tidbit is when this office starts having problems, other remote offices with the same configuration (only they connect over fractional T's) have the same problem.

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated, other than the DSL vs. Fractional T, we are lost...

Thanks!

In my environment I find the usual cause of Outlook freezing at launch is when it cannot connect to the Exchange server or any PST's the user profile has.

Shay - look to your main site first. Check where the FSMOs are located and move if required. Check that you have latest service packs on the Exchange box to minimise memory leaks. Windows update fully before the service pack of Exchange.

I'd suspect some of that will cure the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back