Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Outlook freezes

Status
Not open for further replies.

tim55

IS-IT--Management
Sep 13, 2004
GB
We are using Outlook 2000 with Exchange Server 5.5, all workstations running Windows 2000 pro, and I think they are all up to date with patches etc.

Every now and again (we had 2 a few weeks ago and another today) someone gets an email which when opened, freezes Outlook and in most cases requires a reboot.

As far as I can tell, it is not PC specific, all the emails are genuine from people we know, and there appears to be connection as far as email addresses etc. are concerned.

Can anyone suggest a reason for this?

Thanks.

do you have a way to check the size of the email before you open it? It sounds like the email contaings graphics, attachments, etc that are large enough to kill your PC. Also, how much memory is on the PCs in question.

Sawedoff

I cannot remember if the previous ones had attachments, but the latest one did not - just an ordinary looking email of a few lines. All the PCs have 256Mb RAM.

256 is not nearly enough to open a some of the emails with HTML and graphics. What you see to begin with is just the easy text. Before the graphics show up, the remainder has probably eaten your RAM. You might want to watch the size before you open them. Remember that your PC has to share that 256 with all the open applications as well as open email. I am not saying you need to install more RAM, just trying to explain why your PC locks up.

Sawedoff

I have the same problem. After I upgraded to Exchange 5.5 it happens with several machines. I don't have to reboot but I do have end the program through the task manager.

I notice that it happens with the users where I change the name of the profile but the old user remains as a system file.

Once I creat an entirely new profile it tends to resolve the matter. If there is an easier way please share.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back