Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Outlook freezes when connecting to exchange through vpn 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

glamprecht

IS-IT--Management
Feb 6, 2005
US
Hello all!!!

I have a Netgear fwag411 firewall/wireless endpoint/Router.....

First off, all in all it works fine. But when my wife uses a Cisco VPN client to connect to her work exchange server, Outlook will never fully open and will never connect/communicate with the Exchange server and as a result, she can not access her email. If I bypass the Netgear router all together and just go straight out of the cable modem, everything works fine.

I am posting this in the exchange forum in the hopes that it is something exchange related such as some type of ports or what not?? I realize that the issue is on the netgear router but I am hoping that someone will in this forum can shed some light on the issue.

Security is set up using trusted PC lists and by using WEP>

As a word of note, disabling wep had no effect at all on the issue.

Thanks

Gary

What ip is your netgear giving you?
What ip is her work assiging her when she connects via vpn? It could be possible that both are on the same subnet. After checking that see if you can ping the exchange server by name.

Nick

I'm having the same problem, except I'm using a Dlink DI-624..I can ping the exchange server, and both connections have different subnets..

glamprecht,
I have found alot of time Outlook freezes is caused because it cannot communicate with the Exchange server - i.e. cannot find it.

First I would open control panel/mail and check the server name your connecting to on your wifes home computer.

Then connect to the VPN. Once its connected, open a prompt and ping the servername. See if that even works.

If that doesnt work, then try pinging by the IP address of the exchange server. Its possible the VPN doesnt resolve the name correctly and you can simply swap the IP address into your mail profile.

add a line in the hosts file with the IP (the servers internal ip )of the exchange server i.e

10.0.4.5 exchange.

I agree with DG6-59.

Ping the IP address, If that works Ping the Netbios Name.
i.e. exchange.
If you can ping the IP address, but not the NetBios Name, then You need to add the entry in the host file.

After that you should be able ping the NetBios Name (as it looks to the Hosts file to resolve the IP first).

Exchange uses the Name and not the IP address
I know I had some PC's that had resolving IP address's in the past and this always solved the problem.

Hello all and thanks for the input....

I did try to do as suggested.. pinged the exchange server by ip and by name and by IP was successfull, by name was not. ?????

But before all these posts came in i went out and bought a Linksys WRT54GX SRK wireless router and solved two problems at the same time.

One,, For some reason my wife no loger has an issue connecting to the server. ???? Everything works great now.

Two,, One thing that irked me about the old Netgear was that it would never renew its IP from my ISP on its own. About once per week i would lose Internet access and would have to manually go into the router and release/renew the IP. The new Router does this just fine on its own. Plus it is a whole lot faster and has a much stronger wireless signal.

The problem was with the Netgear router but what it acutally was i guess i will never know.

I can say this though, This New Linksys router is the best thing i have used outside of Cisco.

Thanks again

Gary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back