Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Outlook folders too big, can't move or delete items/folders

Status
Not open for further replies.

shaftoe

Technical User
Oct 3, 2004
US
I am trying to sort out an email (Outlook 2002) situation where a user has saved everything for too long and consequently has Archive and Personal Folders each pushing 2GB. I downloaded the MS Outlook Backup add-on and installed it but it will not run because almost any action of consequence makes Outlook lock up. I can't move or delete anything. I've tried everything I can think of from selecting individual messages to archiving folders, subfolders, just that hourglass every time. I'm reluctant to approach this through Windows Explorer for fear of corrupting the files.

Any ideas? Back to pencils?

Based on the assumption you are using PST. Try adding a new pst as the default. Then open the old pst and just move what you need to the new pst. Then throw away the old pst.

I just needed to be more patient with that hourglass. It took several minutes before the backup started working but now it's going fine. Thanks Jeff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back