Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Outlook Folder Refresh Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

GarethT

Technical User
Mar 26, 2003
GB
Backgound:
Nt4 domain with exchange 5.5 migrated to a 2k domain with exchange 2k
Ever since migration, clients using outlook 98 - 2k find that they are not notified of a new mail appearing in their inbox and the actual display of outlook folders doesnt update with the new mail-- only when they click on one of their inbox folders or read an existing mail does the inbox refresh and show the new mail.
any ideas anyone? apparently the issue started with only 1 user and now seems to be affecting about 5.

this problem wasnt apparent before the migration.
the Exchange server has the latest SP`s applied.

any ideas anyone?

MCSE NT&2K,CCNA/CCDA,CNA,ASE,NSP

Is there more than one NIC in the server? I've seen multihoming cause this problem.

its a Compaq ML370 with 1 GB NIC

I just saw this same scenario...nt4 migrate to 2k AD.
ex 5.5 migrated a bit later to e2k3.

Now SOME of the outlook 2000 clients on SOME platforms seem to need to click away from a folder to get the inbox to refresh.

Did you ever find a resolution to this?

John

Hey,

No as of yet ive not resolution to this problem--however its affecting a customer of ours that hasnt any support with us, so ive not really been looking anymore into it.

If anyone has a stroke of genius........

I had similar problem with Compaq ML350 with integrated 1 GB nic. MS tech support said that exchange 2k, 2k3 has a known issue with some 1G NICs, the compaq integrated have the chip set wihthe problem, intel I think. I installed a 10/100 nic in the server and disabled the 1BG, problem went away. I have 200 users on exchnage and 100Mbps seems to be plenty fast.

I had a similar problem, and found that this was being caused by the Internet Connection Firewall setting on the Local Area Network. Disabled the ICF setting on client machine to resolve the problem.

I have the same problem on a WinXP client to a Win2k / Exchange 2000 server, but not migration was involved. The server was built as Win2k and Exchange 2000.

Still no answer found to the problem I assume?

Check if the Internet Connection Firewall is enabled on the Client Machine. If yes, then disable the ICF and this should resolve the problem.

Interesting point re the ICF - it is turned off on the machine I have this problem on, but that machine does go through a Proxy Server for its internet connection.

Could this be the problem? If so what setting should I look for in the Proxy?

I seem to have solved this in my instance - a simple case of not enough RAM.....by increasing RAM in the server from 2GB to 4GB and in the workstation from 256MB to 512MB, the problem has stopped.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back