Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Outlook: File Access Denied Importing Oultook.pst file

Status
Not open for further replies.

drm184

MIS
May 25, 2001
US
I recently redid my system, formating the hard drive and reinstalling everything. If I try to import my old personal folder (outlook.pst file) it says file access denied, I don't have permission to view that file. I'm running win2000 prof. with office xp. I did checked permissions for that file and they were set correctly. Any ideas? Thanks for the help!

Is it possible that this pst file is open somewhere else, do you have it shared out???? If so, this is an issue because pst files can not be opened in multiple instances. If the pst file is not shared, then try running the Inbox Repair tool to see if you have some corrupt files.

I think I ran into this issue myself when I moved from Win98 to 2000. Seems I used to be able to point my profile at a particular .pst while creating my profile in the new Office installation. However, in 2000, it defaulted without asking me and created a new .pst (without showing that interaction on the screen) in a path on the C: drive under my login profile (try searching on all *.pst files on your drives). I then couldn't open the restored file that I placed in a preferred directory. So I had to open the new .pst file in my new profile and import the whole contents (96MB) from my old file. That worked, and I now back up the new file. Newposter
"Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back