Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Outlook express wont load

Status
Not open for further replies.

stuarttw

Technical User
Feb 14, 2003
GB
When i try to start OE, i get the following message
OE could not be started because MSOE.dll could not be found. OE may not be installed correctly.

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling OE, with no joy

I am using win xp service pack2

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Converted FAT32 to NTFS now having problems w/user id and OE
thread779-852320

Some general things to try.

See if System Restore will get you back to a restore point before your problem with OE.

Try Safe Mode (Do you have this problem in Safe Mode?).

Try running ChkDsk to check your drive for errors. Right-click your Drive icon/ Properties/ Tools/ Error Checking. Select both boxes.

Run the System File Checker program from the Run Box by typing.....Sfc /Scannow in it and have your XP CD handy.

HOW TO: Verify Unsigned Device Drivers in Windows XP

If they don't work you could try repairing windows by running it over itself. You will lose all your windows updates but your files will be untouched.

How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade (Reinstallation) of Windows XP (Q315341)

What the heck, no, dont do that!

If you are going to do anything, reinstall Internet Explorer which has Outlook Express with it. It'll most likely be a repair install of Internet Explorer which might fix the problem.

Dont ruin your windows install because of this weenie problem.

The DBX files may be set to read only, so you may have to change that and it might fix it.

Check out this thread, I really wouldnt do a repair install of Windows unless it's a last resort.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back