Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Outlook Express receives mail but doesn't send

Status
Not open for further replies.

THE4MAN

Technical User
Mar 17, 2002
US
Hi guys,

I have been chasing this problem for too long now. I have a customer who is using XPSP2 and OE6. We are able to receive e-mail just fine, but get the Socket 10060 error when trying to send. I have deleted the account and recreated it, messed with every possible combination in the settings and it still won't send. I have access to the mail server and have deleted and recreated her account there as well. I've set up at least 25 of these accounts in the last 2 months with no problems whatsoever. I can set the account up on my own computer at home and get it work correctly. So this leads me to believe that either Outlook Express has somehow been corrupted, her ISP Cox Cable (which is different than mine) isn't allowing this, or Windows XPSP2 itself is playing an active role.

Anyone else run into this and what was the fix?

Did this customer have virus problems? I had a similar problem with the cable service Wide Open West in Columbus, Ohio. Does this customer have web access to thier account? If that works, and there was a virus issue you may have the same issue I dealt with.

WOW shut off this user's ability to send email when they were sending out viruses. I corrected the problem and called thier tech support. They told me the ability to send would be turned back on within an hour. I left the customers and heard later they still couldn't send. I went through all the steps ou did, but their tech support insisted the viruses did something to Outlook express and that I reinstall it. Not having a lot of options I did it, and of course it still didn't work. Finally, I brought my laptop, configured OE for the customers and still had the same problem. Only then did I get kicked up to level II support who realized after unblocking the account, the cable modem had to be reset.

Hi! I found what I'm looking for here. Although you had this problem way in the past, it's good to see that it's a known problem (quite a few posts like this in TT). I have the same exact with XP / OE6. All possible settings perfect, etc. Even went as far as "safe mode with networking" so NOTHING else was running, no go. I saw one other suggestion was to get another IP. My other thought was the ISP. We own the mail server (which goes out just fine in "webmail") and have numerous accounts under us. Ever creep up again?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back