Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Outlook express inbox wipes clean

Status
Not open for further replies.

ampy2000

Technical User
Jan 29, 2004
US
This is the second time in 12 mos. my inbox is wiped clean. Checked email then about an hour later the inbox has nothing to view. The deleted items box is intact as well as the sent items all files display. The inbox files that disappeared are not in the deleted item box. I looked in my email folder on my C drive and found inbox.dbx the properties show the file has 78mb. when I click on it outlook express goes into the inbox screen and has nothing to display. Thease messages were quite important. Anyone ever have this problem and know of a solution to get them to display...THX

Under view ->current view is "show all messages" selected?

Cheers.

Yes show all messages is selected. I just got them all back by running norton unerase wizzard went to norton protected files chose all bdx files there and restored them they over wrote all existing files. The inbox is now displaying the inbox files. This is a frightful thing loosing our business orders. Any idea what might cause this again it has happened twice in about 12 months. The first time I did not try norton...got lucky this time

I'm glad you got them back.

Sorry, I don't know what would have caused it. A long shot, and I mean a REALLY long shot, if you're using Norton AV could a corrupt definition file from the LiveUpdate that happened yesterday have caused it? Did the last time it happened coincide with a Norton LiveUpdate?

We use CA's eTrust InoculateIT and every once in while a corrupt virus sig update will cause a strange error - anything from BSODs (but not on all computers) to "access denied" on files to which "everyone" has full control of to all the user profiles on the affected workstation or TS suddenly becoming "read only". The reason I know it was the sig update was because once, after I reset the permissions and rolled back to the previous update, all was fine. The minute I forced the update again the problems reoccurred. As for the BSODs, CA actually admitted that it was caused by a corrupt signature update.

Cheers.

OE's database structure is not as robust as it should be. Many times Antivirus software can cause issues like this. One of the next most likely causes is if OE is closed or forcibly shutdown while background compaction of the message store is occuring. Lastly, make sure that the the message store not on a shared network drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back