Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Outlook Express - Email from Inbox disappeared

Status
Not open for further replies.

bbatter

Technical User
Aug 10, 2006
US
I have seen this a couple times and have not been able to figure out why it happens or how to recover/resolve it.

XP Professional (sp2) clients running Outlook Express 6. When the email client is opened one day, a vast majority of the Inbox has disappeared. Most recently, everything from yesterday back to March of 2005 is just gone. Email prior to March 2005 is still there, but nothing newer.

Additionally, when OE was reopened to the overview page, unread email numbers would increase for the Inbox folder (say from 48 to 71) but then the number would immediately revert back to the original number (48 in this example) and there would be no new email visible.

I have tried a variety of email recovery programs to no avail... Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

No - I always avoid upgrading the OS like the plague... All effected machines were fresh XP Professional installs. Any other ideas?

When I was at college I was told there was a problem were Microsoft Outlook would automaticaly just delete all/most of the contents of the Inbox when the number of emails in it reached a certain amount.

If true though you would probably need to have had hundreds/thousands emails in your inbox though.

"The only stupid question is the one that doesn't get asked

JohnOB - did that problem apply to Outlook or Outlook Express? Was there a solution for it?

lgebhart - I previously hit that link up and it did nothing to resolve the situation.

i using outlook express 6 in windows 98. i found out that the folder explorer INBOX shown that still have new mails received although i have read all messages in the inbox.
pls advice for this solutions.

kelyclp, please start a new thread. You do not seem to be describing the same problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back