Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Outlook Express behind a proxy

Status
Not open for further replies.

encata

MIS
Apr 9, 2002
ET
Hi All

We are running Proxy server 2.0 on Windows NT Server 4.0 to share the single internet connection we have.We don't have router.
everybody browses and checks E-mail using http. Some of our users like to download their E_mail using Outlook express.
How can I configure OE behind a proxy. I read somewhere to put the proxy server computer's name in the OE pop3 server name box.
but it doesn't work.

your usual help, I am learning much fom this forum.

Why you worry? Life is too short to worry.

By default, OE should share your network settings with IE.
If the proxy server settings are correct in IE, everything should work.

To check these settings in OE, click on Tools/Options, select the Connections tab, then click on Change, then Lan Settings.

To check them in IE, click on Tools/Internet Options

All settings are correct but OE gives the followin g error

The host 'mail.careet.org' could not be found. Please verify that you have entered the server name correctly. Account: 'mail.yahoo.com', Server: 'mail.careet.org', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 11001, Error Number: 0x800CCC0D

In order to use Outlook Express POP3, you must install the MS Proxy client on the PCs needing access. It can be found on the Proxy server in a share called "mspclnt".

Hope this helps.

Ron

Redhook01

I installed the client as per your suggestion, But I got the same message with differnt error number

The connection to the server has failed. Account: 'mail.careet.org', Server: 'mail.careet.org', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10061, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E

For troubleshooting purposes you may want to try telneting to your mail server (on port 110) from the proxy server. If you can't do it from there then your problem maybe with your ISP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back