Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Outlook Express and MSN

Status
Not open for further replies.

snootalope

IS-IT--Management
Jun 28, 2001
US
Friend got a nasty virus, had to format and reload. Since doing so, we can't get his outlook express to sync up with his MSN account again. I've been searching for ever now trying to find the correct incoming/outgoing mail server settings and all. Can't find a thing!

Can someone help me out here?

Disregard, no sooner did I hit submit on this post and I found the correct settings. Hopefully this will help someone else.

Incoming: pop3.live.com
Outgoing: smtp.live.com

Server requires outbound authentication as well ssl for incoming and outgoing.

While you're at it, this would be a good time to help your friend move away from Outlook Express if they are okay with that. It's dead as of the end of Windows XP. If the user moves to Vista, 7, forward, then Outlook Express is no longer available. There are other free alternatives, though:

Windows Live Mail for one.

Of course, there are other apps as well, but if they are more comfortable sticking to MS, that's their options going forward.

--

"If to err is human, then I must be some kind of human!" -Me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back