Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Outlook express and downloading large emails 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chrissirhc

Programmer
May 20, 2000
GB
Hello I want to use outlook express to check my mail. The problem is is that sometimes people send me large mail with attachments and I don't always want to download the attachment. How do I set not to download mail of a certain size say 60kb. OR how do I say not to download attachments without asking me first.

Thanks in advance.

Chris

I don't know of any way you can restrict it.

The option you have (assuming you are using a POP3 mail client) is to check your mail using and keying in your POP3 mail account and password and checking your mail in a similar way to hotmail. You can then read the text messages and ignore the large files until you are ready to download them.

Thanks but that is'nt that much advantageous over reading my mail using telnet. I am sure I read somewhere in a magazine that someone had the same problem but I don't see how they got around it. Really it should be something built into the software I think.

Chris

If you are on a network it can be done in the Postmaster.

Hello all
The mail file size can definitely be done as I have done it myself on my machine. Problem is that I cannot remember how at this time!
I will post again with the answer very soon.

In outlook express click > tools > message rules > mail > in new mail rule condition 1 check "where the message size is more than size" in condition 2 check " do not download from server". In condition 3 click underlined words to set the required values. Give the rule a specific name click ok > apply now.

Note the rule can be removed at any time by clicking on it an selecting remove.

Hope this is what you are looking for.

;-)

Thanks you have sorted it out. Ironically I have been there before because I had set something up in there called uni mail, but thanks I now have sorted the problem out. Did you know about the disconnect thing in the system settings?

Glad to be of help.

".....Did you know about the disconnect thing in the system settings?"

Could you be more specific?

Sorry I posted a message a while back with the full question but no one answered it is about cd drives and disconnect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back