Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Outlook Express 6 (xpHome) won't start

Status
Not open for further replies.

Theodrin

MIS
May 22, 2002
US
When I try to get into MSOE6 it crashes on me immediately. I'm a repair type of person that has had this project dumped in my lap and I must say I'm stumped. I've tried reinstalled IE6 and xp won't allow that due to it being already installed. I've tried tracing the error down to see if there are rampant .dll's that need to be reconfigged or whatever and to no avail.

Here's the actual jargon from the 'error' message that it want's to send:

AppName: msimn.exe AppVer: 6.0.2600.0 ModName: kernel32.dll ModVer: 5.1.2600.0 Offset: 0001b216

Please help! I hope that this is sufficient enough information for all of you OE Gurus! Thanks in advance.

Theo

Ack!

As a fix, I installed Office XP to this machine so I could use Outlook 2002. Well, Outlook works as advertised, but now I cannot get any of the old mail from OE6 to Outlook. Everytime I attempt to import data directly from OE6 I get the following error:

Code: 0x000000f0 Flags: 0x0000000
Record: 0x0000000c0000005 Adress: 0x0000000000000000

I have NO idea how to read these error codes. If anyone knows of an online cheat sheet for them, I'd appreciate it. Of course, a cause and/or cure for this issue would be MOST welcome.

Thanks,
Theo

Ok, closing remarks:

I found that it was rather painless to perform the auto-repair actions with XP. It cleaned up the programs that were not playing nice (Address Book and OE6) and I was able to utilize OE6 without problems.

So, if you have XP and OE6 is just baffling the heck out of you due to it not allowing you in, there you go.

This one is for Theo:

You can't get any of the old mail from OE6 to Outlook.

Your best bet is to export the data as a .csv file, check the properties (make sure it's not protected), then import the data using the import export feature in outlook 2002.

I use to get the same type error. Now I use one of the free MS tools to create a std. backup of my mail to a .pst file and burn that file to cd-rom, I've got e-mails going back to 1997(300MB+).

fenn007
"from the land down under"

How do I get the auto-repair running?? I have the same issue you had.

Lee Jon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back