Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Outlook Express 6 without passwords

Status
Not open for further replies.

vidman3117

Technical User
Sep 9, 2004
US
I have win xp home, and have 4 email identities, and each one requires a password, which make it time consuming. How do I make it so that I can dial up to my email without a password, and switch identities without also a password.
appreciate any input.
vidman

I'm not quite sure of your question(s):

Are you dialing 4 different connctions and want to do this without asking for dial-up passwords?
or
Are you checking 4 different e-mail accounts (using 1 dial-up connection), and OE is prompting for each of the 4 mail account passwords?
or
Are you using OE's Identites and each identity checks a different mail account? And OE's identy function is asking for a password each time you switch identities, but mail account passwords & dial-up passwords are OK.

Thanks for replying.
Are you checking 4 different e-mail accounts (using 1 dial-up connection), and OE is prompting for each of the 4 mail account passwords? YES. USING 1 SERVICE COX CABLE.
MILLARD

Thanks again, I went into the registry, and found "protected storage system provider"
folder 5-1-18
sub data
sub data 2
folder s-1-5-21-1042743592-1936773902-7586390059-1003(this seems to be the one, however, do I do anything with folder 5-1-18/data/data2??
Also,at the bottom of this procedure state "OLEXP: YOUR PASSWORD IS NOT RETAINED IN WINDOWS 2000 OR WINDOWS XP (Q264672)Is a bit confusing, considering what is recommended.
Now, once I have deleted the password, it then tells me to go back and enter the passwords.Once I enter the passwords, won't I get the same problem again, or do I just go into Tools/Accounts/Mail/server..."remember password and load the password and ck that box, or do I leave it uncked??
Regards again
Millard

It is always a good idea to back up before messing with the registry. You can save this registry key by right-click and export.

Then, delete the entire 'Protected Storage System Provider' key. (When this key is deleted, all sub-keys will also be deleted). Close the registry editor, start OE and check your mail. You will be prompted for the passwords - enter them and check the 'remember password' option and you should never be asked again.

You're the MAN!! When I opened up OE, I first did not put in my password, I opened my first identity, went to tools/accounts/mail/properties/servers/incoming mail server..click "remember password" type in the password, click "apply". AND IT WORKED!, I then went to all the rest of the identities making sure I did not put in the password when the identity launched, followed the above. You know, when I was having this problem, every time I came back to that password area where I had previously entered the password, it was missing..Maybe that is a hint to people who are having my problem.
Thanks again,
Millard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back