Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

outlook express 6 - email headers

Status
Not open for further replies.

stax

Technical User
Sep 25, 2002
US
Hi,

I'm using outlook express 6 and i would like to send emails without broadcasting my personal details. Is there anyway that i can restrict the amount of information in the email header? i dont want to send my machine ID and IP address with every email

Also in the email header can you see ALL recipients? even those that are supposed to be hidden (ie BCC)?

alternitavley, maybe someone can suggest a better email app?

Best, Shaun

All e-mail apps will include the header info that is required to move between mail servers. This will always include the sending mail server and usually the hostname (or IP address) of the client that sent it. There are ways to spoof/fake some of this info, but many mail servers will refuse mail when the header isn't correct (think spam). Why would you want to hide this if you're not sending spam?

No, BCC recipient info will not show up for other recipients.

Hi Smah,

thank you for the reply. I want to hide some information, the first if the IP, i have a proxy server so thats easy but the main one is the second - my computers personal identification number. This seems to be its network ID or something like that? its in the header.

the reasons are simple

1. I send email from one laptop, regarding three different businesses using three different Outlook express identities and i would like to keep them all seperate/idividual. with my machine ID in the header they are not.

2. for safety, i dont want to be hacked and broadcasting by ip and machine ID seems risky

how do i spoof my machine ID on one of my identities?

Best,
Shaun

Do you expect these 3 businesses to get together & compare the e-mail header information? Your machine specific IP adress exists (wether or not you even send e-mail). You are far more likely to be hacked by someone scanning all IP addresses (including yours), than you by someone digging through the header information of an e-mail message & targeting you specifically. Billions of e-mail messages are sent out every day with normal header information. The ones that try to mask the real header information are usually the onse sending spam.

smah, your are way off topic and more interested in my reasons that the crux of post. to clarify, you misunderstand - the three businesses are mine, i'm send mail from the same laptop, i want them to operate individually, this is why i want a degree of anonymity from one another. Also, you appear to be caught in a loop, I've already explained its not for spam purposes. I take it that spam is a sensitive subject for you.

Can anobody answer the orginal question....

ie do i have any choice in the information that is sent in an email header?

namely the message ID and having my computers network ID in it.

Also, when sending BCC does the recipients email list show in the header even though they arent meant to be disclosed. NOTE: This is NOT for spaming, its for newletter management and customers get upset it you include them on a list with X amount of strangers who can see there email address. Not to mention i would be giving away my customer list for someone to steal. So i need to know that the reciepints are not able to see my BCC list.

I'd aprieciate any help

thanks,
shaun

The answer to the original question is no (there's no reason to anyway).

As I mentioned earlier, BCC recipients do not see the other recipients. Only the sender sees all the recipients.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back