Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

outlook express 6.0 looking for password

Status
Not open for further replies.

vidman3117

Technical User
Sep 9, 2004
US
I had to "restore" my computer, and was re-doing my oe6 and set a password in accounts to "remember password", yet, when I launch oe, it still asks for the pw. When I go in there, the window for the password is empty. I found the fix recommended by MS, and went into "protective storage system provider" and tried to delete the password key, logged on as administrator, but it would not allow me. What am I doing wrong?
Regards,
Vidman

Thank you,Smah,I have done it![2thumbsup] but my big problem is I had to fool around(not knowing what I did, however it worked!) to 2 items on the window "advanced security settings for protected systems provider"
(I checked this one)"inherit from parent the permission entries that apply to child object. Include these with entries explicity defined here." What are child objects???

( I did not ckeck this one)"Replace permission entries on all child objects with entries shown here to apply to child objects"

Would it be possible one of you could point me to a tutorial(in plain english, as I am definately a nubie) and screen shots of what these windows are supposed to look like, because this exercise was "wing it". Also,now, have I messed up my permission entries???
:
TYPE NAME PERMISSION INHERITED FROM APPLY TO
allow RESTRICTED Full Control(not inherited) key&subkey
allow OWNER(YOUR6NJ**Full Control(Current User) key&subkey
allow SYSTEM Full Control(Current User) key&subkey
allow Admin(YOUR6JN**Full Control(Current User) key&subkey
allow RESTRICTED Read (Current User) key&subkey
I really appreciate all you have given me since I have joined this forum. You guys Rock![bigsmile]
Rregards,
Vidman

Child objects" are all those objects below the parent. This description applies to folders of the filesystem as well as registry keys.
|
|--Key or Folder Parent
|
|-Subkey1 or Subfolder1 Child
|
|-Subkey2 or Subfolder2 Child
|
|-Subkey3 or Subfolder3 Child

'Inhereting permissions from the parent' implies that any specific permission on the parent will be carried down to the child.

In any event, whatever you did, as long as you only did it to the registry keys that were deleted, it won't matter. Once the keys were recreated, they would be created with appropriate permissions for your situation.

Thank so much for the explanation.
Regards,
Vidman

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back