Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

OUTLOOK.EXE RUNNING TWICE

Status
Not open for further replies.

agent099

MIS
Feb 2, 2001
US
I AM USING WINDOWS2000 WITH OUTLOOK97. THE CPU OCCASIONALLY DECIDES TO RUN SUPER HIGH, THE PROBLEM IS OUTLOOK.EXE IS RUNNING TWO INSTANCES. I CAN GO INTO TASK MANAGER AND END BOTH PROCESSES RUNNING AND THE CPU RUNS NORMAL FROM THEN ON. BUT I CAN'R FIND A PERMENANT SOLUTION. HAS ANYONE ELSE COME ACROSS THIS PROBLEM BEFORE? THANKS FOR ANY INPUT.

1. How are you launching Outlook?

2. Do you have it in the c:\windows\start menu\programs\startup twice?

techsupportgirl@home.com
Brainbench MVP for Microsoft Word

Is it possible you are starting Outlook from within your start up programs, and then manually starting Outlook?

I'm launching outlook from the programs menu. I also tried just from the desktop icon. I made sure It was only started once. thanks anyway.

yes. the problem only occurs every so often, but yes, both ways of starting it. To clarify further, I also made sure the end user wasn't running any other programs at the same time in case another office program was starting outlook.exe. I've searched the Microsoft Kb too.

This is probably a stupid question, but here it is anyway. Have you personally been able to duplicate the problem or do you only get this from your enduser? Is it possibly a case of the user double clicking the office bar instead of single clicking it? Just a thought.

We tried opening outlook from just the programs menu which doesn't require a double click, but that had crossed my mind the first time it occurred. Using the start menu -> programs removes the target issue, don't know about the add-ins. thanks.

Then copy the shortcut to Outlook from the programs menu to the desktop. You'll find start-menu shortcuts at:

c:\windows\start menu\programs
techsupportgirl@home.com
Brainbench MVP for Microsoft Word

Recreating the shortcut from the programs menu does not work because the problem occurrs from both the desktop shortcut and the programs menu. It's not a target issue, but thanks anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back