Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Outlook.exe error

Status
Not open for further replies.

kalpeshh

MIS
Feb 10, 2002
US
Hi,
Recently I have come up with Dr. Watson outlook.exe error in office 97. This error is related with particular user' mailbox whe he logged on. When other user logged on no problem but as soon as this user logged on he gets outlook.exe error when opened his mailbox. Error occurs even after giving him new fresh profile. How to correct this problem. After creating new user id for him still he had outlook.exe error. The problem has been solved only after installing other versions of office. We installed office 2000 in this case and problem solved. In other incident we had to install outlook 98 in office 97 to correct this outlook.exe problem. Anybody knows any error like this have any kb? If so, please reply.

There are many command-line switches for Outlook. Here's what I would try, with Outlook closed of course:

Start-Run, type:

outlook.exe /regserver

that puts it back to default, but if registry is bad, this won't help. Also, you need to include the path to the exe if you get an error that it can't find it.

Also, consider your user may have a bad PST. Remove the PSTs from their current location (temporarily) and try again.

Hope this helps!

Hi,
Thanks for the reply. Actually, .PST was fine as when I reconfigured his outlook only his personal folder was opening but not the mailbox itself.

--admin

Since it is Dr Watson then I assume this is running NT.

And since it only is happening with one user then it is either registry related or something in his Windows profile causing the error. I would wager it is the registry that is causing the error.

I know there is a KB that explains how to run the setup for office with a switch so that it just updates the registry information. I don't have that KB number right now but maybe this info will at least get you started.

Also if you are in the mood to play Sherlock you can try using FILEMON and REGMON from to give you a better idea what is going on in the background when you launch Outlook then Dr. Watson will give you.
joegz
"Sometimes you just need to find out what it's not first to figure out what it is."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back