Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Outlook/Exchange migration issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

bbarz

IS-IT--Management
Dec 15, 2004
US
OK, a little background first…We are currently migrating multiple NT domains into a single AD domain. Once this is complete, we will begin to migrate all users into the Exchange environment. Currently our users have a variety of email clients installed. As part of the migration, we are standardizing the email client to Outlook 2003 across all departments.

Prior to ones account being mail enabled, Outlook 2003 will have been installed on their system. The plan is to use the custom installation wizard to create a transform file to automate the install. Since some users are currently using Outlook 2000 or XP with an IMAP or POP3 profile configured I was hoping to use it to create an exchange profile that was not the default profile and either prompt for the profile when launching outlook or just make the exchange profile the default after their mail has been migrated. However, from what I can tell, using the wizard you can only create an exchange profile that is the default, which will obviously cause a problem because their accounts will not be mail enabled when outlook is installed. The other option I have would be to create a PRF file and push this out when their account gets mail enabled. Is there a better way of going about this? All suggestions, comments, experiences, and options I haven’t thought of are welcome. I am just getting this project off the ground and would like as many options as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back