Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Outlook effects System Performance

Status
Not open for further replies.

rvancleef

Programmer
Apr 8, 2003
US
I have Windows XP Prof and Outlook 2000, both with any all patches available from MS. I also have Norton Antivirus 2002 Edition with LiveUpdate fully updated.

Symptoms:
1. I have noticed that whenever Outlook is invoked it pegs my CPU to 96+ percent in task manager.
2. When Outlook loads, it takes a few seconds before the application loads. Then it seems to stay 'in memory' even after I have closed it.
3. I tried to archive some of my emails, and now the system seems to have 2 open references to my personal folder, and 1 reference to the archive folder.
3. I am also having to run defragment on my system weekely and suspect Outlook is to blame.

I believe these issues are related, but do not know enough about Outlook to find a substantial resolution. Any help on these points would be appreciated!

Your Outlook Profile is most likely corrupt. Create a new one in Control Panel, Mail and set the new one to access your old pst file. Then delete the corrupt one. Note: you will have to set up mail accounts again and such.

I had a similar issue I turned off my mail scanning in norton as well as the instant messenging option in Outlook, which is a known issue from Microsoft. ANother problem could be your connection to Exchange (if thats what you are using) you could be getting dropped so Outlook is always trying to reconnect everytime you do something. I had a similar problem and I fixed it by looking at my firewall logs to see what ports were being opened and closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back