Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Outlook crashing on computers running from Exchange Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

XSComputers

Technical User
Aug 19, 2013
Hi Guys,

I'm going to look at a network later on which has got Windows Vista running Microsoft Outlook from an Exchange Server.

I don't really know specifics yet but it keeps crashing out. They've been told it's due to their slow network speeds but it worked before. It isn't specific to a computer as it happens across the network so I'm guessing it'd be something to do with the exchange side of things.

Does anyone know where to start to start looking at the problem?

I'll be to do a system look over on the of the computers and see if anyone error messages or codes come up when I get there and will have full access to what I need.

Thank You
Luke

Hi Luke,

There's not much to go on here, you'll need to get on site to get a better idea.

I would start by checking the Exchange server Application event log. Also check the System event log for general problems.
All versions of Exchange have extended logging capability, there are a couple of dozen categories that you can set higher-then-default levels of logging, have a Google for how to do this before you turn up on site as it's not straightforward. Remember to reset logging to default levels afterwards, verbose logging can generate a huge amount of logs.
For Outlook 2007+ if you hold down Ctrl and right-click the Outlook system tray icon (by the clock) there is a Connection Status option which can be useful.

Good luck!

Thanks CQ, Will check that out now before heading over.

OK Chris, thanks

I'm having a look at the computers now. It seems to hang (not responding) rather than crash out.

There's several mailboxes running through and when changing between mailboxes is when it hangs, could this be due to a data change? It didn't do this 2 weeks ago and has only started happening since then, what could've changed since then?

Is it computer related or could it be a switch related problem if its got a reduced bandwidth?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back