Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Outlook Contacts not Sync'ing with Handhelds

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevenriz

IS-IT--Management
May 21, 2001
Hi all, I reviewed some relevant posts to no avail. I just noticed that after adding contacts to outlook they do not sync down to the handheld. I tested this on two handhelds and they both act the same way. No sync of Contact information.

We're running BES 3.6.7.12, Exchange 2003 and Outlook 2003.

I checked all options I could find but nothing specifically states Contact Sync...

Thanks!
Steve

There probably is a way from the BES, but I've found the easiest way is from the Desktop Manager logged in as the user and with the user's BB plugged in.

You can turn on Wireless Sync from there, which will get the contacts from the Exchange Server via the BES

Regards,
Mike Lazarus
ACT! Evangelist
GL Computing, Aust

Hi and thanks for your suggestion....

yes we can sync using desktop manager. but I didn't see any specific wireless sync option. I see that when I choose Configure Sync, the Address Book is set to sync with Microsoft Outlook but don't know if that works. I tried testing a new contact in Outlook but it never came over to the BB.

When you installed the Desktop Manager, did you tell it to use Exchange?

Turn OFF the click for the address book (it should not use Outlook)

In the Blackberry address book, go options and turn on Wireless Sync

Regards,
Mike Lazarus
ACT! Evangelist
GL Computing, Aust

Hi, yes when we install desktop manager, we choose BES and Exchange. I turn off the click for syncrhonizing the address book but then when I go into the blackberry, the Wireless Sync options does not exist as you suggest.

So I don't know if I wsa doing everything right to begin with and it just isn't working for some reason or if I wasn't doing it correct and need to adjust my settings.

any other thoughts?

BES 3.6 only supports wireless sync of messages and calendar. Wireless sync of Contacts, Tasks and Memos was introduced in BES 4.0.

You will need to use Desktop Manager to sync the contacts.

Regards
jpaf

oh ok thank you. which brings up another question... we are licensed for 4.0. How's the upgrade process? Seamless? Difficult? Any tips you know of that will keep us from being down for very long? What do we backup before the upgrade?

I will search the forum and possbily post another question on that subject.

Steve

If you are considering upgrading, you might as well upgrade to 4.1 as 4.0 is reaching the end of it's life-cycle.

A single instance 3.6 BES is relatively easy to upgrade, multiple instances a little more difficult but shouldn't be a problem.

Read the upgrade guide for 4.1.

Regards
jpaf

yes I believe we have 4.1, I am looking up the license now. Yes it is just a single instance. maybe 30 users. Thanks for the help!!
steve

Forgot to answer your other question; you should backup the SQL\MSDE database before attempting the upgrade.

Regards
jpaf

I completed a 3.6 to 4.1 upgrade a few months ago. Pretty straight forward really.

good to know thank you... BES is a VM in this case, I can simply shut down and back up the entire machine.
Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back