Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Outlook contacts gone after SSD upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 7, 2007
US
Wondering if someone can analyze this for me, because it doesn't make sense to me. I have a customer using GoDaddy email and Outlook (Office 365 subscription) as their email client. I cloned her hard drive over to an SSD and then transplanted the new drive into the PC. No problems at all during cloning and the PC booted right up.

Today, however, the customer says their Outlook contacts are gone. I really can't understand how cloning a drive could cause this symptom. Is there something about cloning the hard drive with the OST file on it that would remove access to the contacts?

Do you still have access to the old drive (although I realize by now you may have moved past this)?

If so, even Outlook w/Office 365 does use a local file: you can modify how much data is kept locally. It could be you may be able to simply copy over the Outlook file (not PST with O365, but .OST I think).

If you can get to the old drive, see if you can find any .pst or .ost file(s). If you do, it may be you can import just the contacts list from there.

And if that is the case, then that would make me believe that the outlook file was simply not copied over correctly by the cloning software. Anything can happen.

"But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ." 1 Corinthians 15:57

It was Outlook 365 the software subscription NOT Outlook 365 hosting the email. Yeah, I moved on alright. I just put the old drive in the computer, booted it and exported the contacts to our NAS and then re-imported after switching hard drives. So, the data was there on the old drive. Not sure how it could have NOT been cloned over. Unless the user was totally incompetent and didn't know that they somehow deleted the contacts on the new drive. OR they lied. I don't know. I've used the Samsung Data Migration software about 20 times and never a problem.

So, a mystery that will remain. But to say that it selectively didn't clone ONLY the Outlook contacts is not really plausible.

Hold the phone...
Are her contacts really gone, or is she referring to the auto-complete when she starts typing an email address?

I've had people tell me their contacts weren't showing up, when they were really talking about the autofill of addresses (which, while it shouldn't have been affected by the cloning of a drive, it could have been reset somehow)

Just my $.02

"What the captain doesn't realize is that we've secretly replaced his Dilithium Crystals with new Folger's Crystals."

--Greg

First, this thread is ancient and I resolved it simply by putting the old hard drive back in the PC, booting and then exporting the Outlook contacts. And yes, they were gone. I'm still suspicious that the user deleted the contacts, but she's not an idiot type of user. But then again, a cloning program doesn't selectively ONLY not clone a person's contacts. I'm was baffled but not screwed over!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back