Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Outlook coexistance issues w/Nortel Extranet Client

Status
Not open for further replies.

ExSIGGuy

Technical User
Nov 21, 2002
US
Hi,

I think I have a coexistance issue, but have not been able to confirm or find root cause.

Environment:
WIN2K or XP
Outlook 2K w/local .OST
Nortel Extranet Client (any version for XP)

Symptoms:
#1) User must click "REtry" several times before Outlook Launches. Sometime user even has to kill the initial start attempt and then restart inorder for Outlook to launch.
#2) User must wait very long time (I've seen 40 seconds) between clicking to close Outlook and start of "synch on exit" process.

Users can connect to corp. network either via Dialup Networking into Shiva LanRover system, or via Nortel Extranet Client (VPN SHIM) into Nortel Contivity. Most often VPN users are using ISP Dialup for IP (local# ~ less cost).

Biggest frustration is that Dialup Networking users commonly get a 28.8K connection and rarly if ever experience either symptom described above. BUT the VPN SHIM + ISP Dialup users are connecting at >50K and are consistantly experiencing both symptoms! Suggests to me that VPN SHIP process is affecting something in the OS that causes the two Outlook symptoms described. Symptoms reproducible on either OS, 2K and XP.

Any help GREATLY APPRECIATED!

-Liv

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back