Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Outlook cannot connect when IE can

Status
Not open for further replies.

KCWMS

MIS
Mar 25, 2004
US
...using Office 2K, IE6 and proxy server, AVG (disabled email plugin)

At home, via cable modem, I have no problem using outlook, ie, firefox, whatever.

But whenever I connect via the free wifi at the public library outlook reports
Code:
Unable to connect to the server(account:myemail@gmail.com, pop3 server:'pop.gmail.com', Error number: 0x800ccc0e).

I have other email accounts and I recieve the same message for all of them.

I can connect with IE and FireFox fine, so I know that I have set the required proxy settings for the library correctly (I am actually posting from the library right now). Does Outlook use proxy setting other than IE.

Hi,

Under Tools, Accounts...you should have an Incoming mail server (Pop3) and an Outgoing mail server (SMTP)

It might be worth checking out these settings.

Regards,

Peter.

Remember- It's nice to be important,
but it's important to be nice :)

petrosky,

I have the pop and smtp settings correct. When I am not using the library's proxy address, I can send and receive fine.

Is it possible that the library is somehow blocking pop and smtp. This is the Louisville Public library's free wifi service.

Network administration is a black art to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back