Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Outlook Backup Error

Status
Not open for further replies.

GSCaupling

Technical User
Sep 5, 2008
US
[purple]Disclaimer: This is a repost - no responses in MS Office forum - wrong forum perhaps[/purple]

Outlook 2007.

When I try to backup Outlook, I get the following error:

[blue]"Cannot copy Outlook: The process cannot access the file because another process has locked a portion of the file."[/blue]

Even when I close everything else I get the error. If it matters, I downloaded some fixit that put a backup option on the Outlook File menu.

So far rebooting is the only solution, which is a pain.

Anybody know a fix? Or the cause?

Thanks,
GS

[red]******^******
[small]I[/small] [♥] [small]Love Redundancy[/small][/red]

Hi Pat,

Thanks for the reply.

I downloaded a utility not long ago that installed a backup option under the File menu of Outlook. I'm embarrassed to say that I really don't recall where on the internet I got the new backup utility (although the word "free" was surely involved), but it worked the first few times before this problem came up.

To answer your question, I click Backup, and it opens a dialog box where you can browse to a backup location, although it appears to default to:

[blue]C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Administrator.THOR\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\Outlook backup.pst[/blue]

GS

[red]******^*******

GS,
Sounds like the Outlook backup utility from Microsoft itself. It backs up local PSTs to a location of your choice. The default is always the same location as the default for Outlook PSTs (why here is beyond my scope of understanding).
Download should be found here:

Says it works with 2k7 so there shouldn't be any problems. If it is this utility, it probably corrupted. Remove and re-install and it should clear the problem up.

Ken

"cckens is a nick... why the H-E- double-hockey-sticks am I using a nick for a name? Am I afraid of who I am?"
-me
"...don't know why, but I think of chickens when I see that nick...maybe even choking chickens???"
-Tony (wahnula)

Thanks Ken. I'll try that.

GS

[red]******^*******

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back