Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Outlook Anywhere not working: RPC_S_SERVER_UNAVAILABLE

Status
Not open for further replies.

yanks2112

IS-IT--Management
Jan 5, 2004
US
Exchange 2010 sp2
Windows server 2008
2 CAS servers w RPC/http proxy feature installed
2 mailbox servers
CoyotePoint load balancer load balancing exchange services (MAPI, Active Sync OWA etc)
OWA and active sync work flawlessly. Outlook Anywhere does not.

I am setting up an exchange environment and have been able to get active sync, autodiscover and owa to work. When I run a test on testexchangeconnectivity.com for rpc over http I get the following error:
Attempting to ping RPC endpoint 6004 (NSPI Proxy Interface) on server <internal server.fqdn> the attempt to ping the endpoint failed. Ports 6001,6002 and 6004 are open on the CAS servers but only 6001 is open on the mailbox server. I have read numerous articles from Microsoft and other threads about this issue and have verified all settings (the ValidPorts reg key is properly defined on the CAS Servers. The HTTP Port is defined in the registry if the mailbox servers. I cannot seem to open these ports in the mailbox serves. My question is this: do they need to be open on the mailbox servers? If so would anyone know any reason why they wouldn't be open? There is no virus scann on the servers yet so I discounted that. There are no firewalls betwen the mailbix and CAS serves and they are on the same VLAN I'm not sure what to do with this. Any help or insights are greatly appreciated.

Hi ShackDaddy

Thhanks for replying. It Windows 2008 (not R2)

Firewall needs only 443
Firewall to CAS needs 443, 80 and 135 plus 6001 to 6004
CAS to MBX shouldn't have a firewall in between.
get-owavirtualdirectory | fl should show the correct internalurl and externalurl for the CAS array and firewall respectively
Did you create the load balancer / array after the DB creation?

Hi
There is only one firewall to CAS. 443 is open to CAS. I did a get-owavirtualdirectory | fl but am not sure what firewall information would be there.
I created the load balancer array after I created the DBs
Is there a certain order of creation with respect to the databases and the load balancer?
Thanks for all the help

I was able to get this to work by changing the IP address of my CAS array to both of my internal CAS servers, bypassing the load balancer. The problem with this is the internal MAPI traffic is no longer load balanced.

I have no idea why it works like this and not through the load balancer. I've opened a call with CoyotePoint, hopefully its a simple configuration issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back