Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Outlook Anywhere authentication problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

disturbedone

Vendor
Sep 28, 2006
AU
I recently set up Outlook Anywhere. It's pretty simple - right click the CA, enable, enter DNS name, select NTLM, save.

I tried my laptop but it always prompts me for credentials like it was using basic auth. I thought it might be a problem with my laptop so I just tried another and it does the same thing. It's not using NTLM. It does work if I enter credentials but it just prompts me when I connect. NTLM is selected in Outlook/Account Settings etc

Any ideas why?

Outlook anywhere gets its settings from the Exchange server. Check/change the settings there. Even if you change them on the local Outlook, it will reset based on how it is configured on the server.

Thanks. But I did set the server to NTLM when I enabled it (see initial post). I've double checked this in the EMC and it definitely says NTLM. But for some reason it looks like it's wanting Basic.

NTLM will only work if the connecting computer is domain-joined and is already authenticated with the domain. Is that true in your situation? If you have non-domain joined systems that will be connecting, they would probably want to use Basic.

Dave Shackelford
ThirdTier.net
TrainSignal.com

They're definitely domain laptops.

I've disabled Outlook Anywhere and re-enabled but still get the same problem.

Great website. Thanks for that. It could come in handy for other things.

The test passed with just these minor issues during the autodiscover:
Code:
Test Steps

Attempting to test potential Autodiscover URL [URL unfurl="true"]https://mydomain.com/AutoDiscover/AutoDiscover.xml[/URL]
 	Testing of this potential Autodiscover URL failed.

Test Steps

Attempting to resolve the host name cgs.act.edu.au in DNS.
 	The host name couldn't be resolved.
 	 Tell me more about this issue and how to resolve it

Additional Details
 	Host mydomain.com couldn't be resolved in DNS InfoNoRecords.

With regards to NTLM:
Code:
Testing HTTP Authentication Methods for URL [URL unfurl="true"]https://mydomain.com/rpc/rpcproxy.dll.[/URL]
 	The HTTP authentication methods are correct.

Additional Details
 	ExRCA found all expected authentication methods and no disallowed methods. Methods found: Negotiate, NTLM

and:
Code:
<AuthPackage>Ntlm</AuthPackage>

So it thinks it's all ok. Not sure how well it tests NTLM without having an actual domain laptop.

Googling shows lots of people having this issue but I haven't managed to find a definitive solution.

We need to apply SP2 at some stage so maybe that'll resolve it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back