Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Outlook and POP syncronization

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChipToast

Technical User
Apr 12, 2004
US
Hello,

I currently have Outlook XP setup to download emails from my ISP using POP3 and a dialup account and I also have outlook setup to delete the copies on the ISP server. The problem is that when I perform another syncronization, it attempts to download all the messages in my outlook inbox over again.

Anyone fimilar with this? I have searched the Microsoft KB and wasn't able to find a solution.

Thanks!

Maybe your ISP firewall is not allowing your Outlook to communicate? I have never had that problem, but it might be worth a call to your ISP.

Sawedoff

Ok, so what you are saying is that when you open Outlook, and it subsequently checks for new messages, you read the messages and delete the ones you want to delete, then you do a syncronization and the deleted e-mails surface again?

I have this problem, but not from the same computer, rather, when I move to a different computer and open Outlook, I get the same messages that I just deleted on the other computer. I kinda like it so I haven't explored how to rid myself of it; it never happens with the same computer though.

LF

"As far as the laws of mathematics refer to reality, they are not certain; as far as they are certain, they do not refer to reality."--Albert Einstein

Homer,
When you delete the email you have just downloaded, you are deleting it from the local PC, not the ISP server. To delete it from the ISP server, you will need to either set your Outlook (on whatever PC yu are using) to delete after downloading, or go into your ISPs web mail site and delete them through the webmail. If you are using Outlook on multiple PCs to get your email, and all of them set to delete from the server, you will never have all your email on your "home" PC. If that is not OK, you need to set your main PC to delete them, and all others to not delete. (Actually, I think rather than setting it to delete, you unselect a box that says "Leave a copy on the server").

Sawedoff

sawedoff,
That is exactly how I have outlook setup. I have the "Leave a copy on the server" unchecked so that my emails on the ISP server are deleted once they are copied into my outlook client. However, if i have 60 emails in my inbox (outlook Inbox), when I perform a syncronization, it attemps to download all 60 emails over again (it counts from 1 to 60). I checked my account using their webmail to see if they were indeed being deleted, and they were. I'll remove Outlook from my computer and reinstall, then I'll apply the latest SP and see what happens.

Thank you all for the replys!

sawedoff,

Thanks for that tip. I think I have had the problem which ChipToast specifies, but only using Outlook Express. It's as though the e-mails are being stored temporarily somewhere other than the actual webmail server and Outlook is checking that "sercret" place. I should also note that I have the option to "delete the messages from the server when I delete them on my computer" checked, and theoretically, and as you mention, the next time I syncronize it should clear all of the "deleted" emails out of the server's box, and it does; however, I am *still* able to receive those deleted e-mails on the other computers when I check my mail on them. Why I am not having the exact problem that Chiptoast has is not really understood.

ChipToast,
I can't wait to see if your approach gets rid of your problem.

LF

"As far as the laws of mathematics refer to reality, they are not certain; as far as they are certain, they do not refer to reality."--Albert Einstein

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back