Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Outlook 98 wont validate to Exchange Server 5.5

Status
Not open for further replies.

DasaniDrinker

IS-IT--Management
Oct 1, 2002
US
Environment:
NT 4.0 SP6 network server
MS Exchange Server 5.5

Note: No other pc's on the network are having problems with exchange server.

I recently moved an old Win98 PC to a new employee's desk. Now, under the Mail icon in the control panel, it will not validate the new user's name when adding MS Exchange Server (profile). I have compared the mailbox on the mail server to others and they are identical. The old user of the PC's first name keeps appearing in the NAME portion of the validation screen (NO MATTER WHAT I DO!). When I put in our mail server's IP address and the new mailbox name and click 'Check Name' it hangs.

What are my options or let me know if you need further details.

Thanks in advance!
M.A.

I think this sounds more like a network issue than an Exchange or Outlook issue. Can you ping the server from the machine? Have you checked for any entries in the HOST file that maybe misdirecting the system? Can you do a name check for your mailbox from that same machine? Have you deleted all previous profiles and start with a new one? joegz
"Sometimes you just need to find out what it's not first to figure out what it is."

Thanks Joegz

I got it working while waiting for someone to reply. Turns out the NT server/Exchange Server has not been rebooted in 38 days! I rebooted it, made correct modifications to the HOST and LMHost files on the client and BAM, it worked! However, it still took about 60 seconds to complete the Check Name. But now it's working smoothly without delays.

I had done most all of your very helpful suggestions and they were fine. Primarily though, I think it was something hung up in our overworked server and/or messaging agent.

Thank you for your reply.
MLA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back