Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Outlook 97 - Inbox Rules

Status
Not open for further replies.

bpear

MIS
Mar 19, 2001
US
How do I set up rules to send mail in the Inbox to different folders?

So long as you can 'identify' the messages you want to move to separate folders - you do it like this:

Tools\Inbox Assistant
Click on the Add Rule button
In the Edit Rule dialog box
Use the From, Sent to, Subject and/or Message Body fields to identify the email you want to move (ie it has to match whatever criteria you put into these field(s) - be a bit careful here it can be tricky and you may end up moving email you hadn't intended to move). Note also that if you do not select either the 'Sent Directly to me' or 'Copied (cc) to me' checkboxes you will get a warning that the rule will fire for all messages and is that what you want. I generally select Yes to this message (as it includes Bcc'd email etc as well)
Then click on the checkbox next to Move To.
The button labelled Folder on the same line will activate.
Click on the Folder button
Locate and select the folder you want the messages moved to. If you need to create a new folder, click on the new folder button.
Click on the OK button to exit the Edit Rule dialog box
Click on the OK button to exit Inbox Assistant

That should about do it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back