Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Outlook 2K2 with Win98 SE Hangs

Status
Not open for further replies.

nosugar

Instructor
Apr 12, 2002
US
I installed Office XP on a Win 98 Second Edition Computer (PIII450 256MB 8GB bla bla>>>). When reading e-mail with attachments the computer will stop responding, requiring a reboot. The user, my wife, is unhappy. [shadessad]

Can someone help me troubleshoot this problem. I have reinstalled and ran the detect and repair. I do not know what else to do.

Thanks,

David

I have seen Outlook do this on some occasions. In many cases, after about 1-2 full minutes, Outlook will start working again, with no error. Typically, it's because Outlook is trying to load something from another program. Two things you can try:

1. Turn off PREVIEW PANE. This could be where Outlook is starting its search for additional files.

2. Update Internet Explorer. Outlook relies on IE files for many functions and Office XP is probably going to look for the latest versions. Even if you don't use IE as a browser, updating it can't hurt and may resolve the issue.

Hope this helps. Michael
BASD IS/IT Dept

Thanks Michael. I ran Windows Update. It had about 16 0r 17 critical updates to install. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Appreciate the reply,

David [bigsmile]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back