Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Outlook 2013 - Recipients get attachment but can't see body text

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 7, 2007
US
I have a user that used to send emails with attachments and the recipients would see the email as intended. Then she said that recipients started to complain that all they got was an attachment with no body text. So, I told her to change the send mode to TEXT by doing the following:

Change the format of all new messages
Click the File tab.
Click Options.
Click Mail.
Under Compose messages, in the Compose messages in this format list, click Plain Text

But this wipes out her fancy two color signature. So, what is the problem with emails being in HTML format that the body text wouldn't be visible to recipients?

"Living tomorrow is everyone's sorrow.
Modern man's daydreams have turned into nightmares.

So, what is the problem with emails being in HTML format that the body text wouldn't be visible to recipients?
Their mail client [or server] doesn't handle/allow HTML messages is my first guess.

Chris.

Indifference will be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?
Time flies like an arrow, however, fruit flies like a banana.
Webmaster Forum

Nope............................... but I figured it out.

It was ONLY on emails created with a Brother scan-to-email function. Apparently, the printer uses simple MAPI to create the email which only gives you partial features/functionality of Outlook.

From another web page:
This is a limitation caused by how the application called Outlook to create a new mail. This is because you scanner uses a Simple MAPI command to start a new message. This will not load all Outlook features (such as signatures) and often will be in Plain Text format.

Link

So, a "plain text only" email won't show the body text if a recipient has HTML only reading turned on in their mail program.

Yep, unless the application has been specifically written to use the Outlook API rather than the basic Mail API built in to the operating system you don't usually even get multi-part messages if Outlook is the default mail client.

Has the client recently updated to Windows 7 or above by some chance? Because the Outlook Express API was more functional than the Live Mail API is which is what third party applications hook into.

Chris.

Indifference will be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?
Time flies like an arrow, however, fruit flies like a banana.
Webmaster Forum

She got a new PC last summer (built by me/installed by me, Windows 7), switched from older Outlook to Outlook 2013 and also moved from an older version of the Brother Control Center to the newest version.

There were instructions at Brother on how to associate the scan-to-email function directly with OUTLOOK.EXE in their Control Center software but only for versions 2 & 3. I couldn't seem to find any way to change the association in Control Center 4.
Link

This is one of those "it used to work this way" deals where the customer is cranky because all the changes force them to alter their behavior and they don't want to do it. But I don't see a fix for this unless someone knows a way. By the way, it's a Brother MFC -J825DW. Maybe repost in peripherals now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back