Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Outlook 2010 item count greater than visible emails? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

1DMF

Programmer
Jan 18, 2005
GB
Hi,

I have an odd one with a shared mailbox.

The inbox is showing 13 items, yet there are only 8 items in the inbox.

3 users share this mailbox and they all show the same.

When you go to proprieties and the synchronisation tab is is showing 13 items on server and 13 items offline folder.

Yet there is only 8 items in the mailbox?

I've tried resetting the view, running outlook with the cleanviews switch and a few other articles regarding checking for rules and other settings that might be hiding these emails.

Any ideas either where these emails are, or why the item count is wrong?

Thanks,
1DMF

"In complete darkness we are all the same, it is only our knowledge and wisdom that separates us, don't let your eyes deceive you."

"If a shortcut was meant to be easy, it wouldn't be a shortcut, it would be the way!"
Free Electronic Dance Music

There is probably five sub-folders.

Chris.

Indifference will be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?
Time flies like an arrow, however, fruit flies like a banana.
Webmaster Forum

>3 users share this mailbox

One of the main reasons that item counts may differ in shared mailboxes is permissions. Does the following, from MsOutlook,info, help?

You are not allowed to see private items in a shared mailbox

When you are in a folder of a shared Exchange mailbox and you do not have the permission to view items which are marked as private, then folder could be displaying the wrong amount of unread items for you.

To resolve this, you must contact the Mailbox owner and ask if you can have the “Delegate can see my private items” permission.

The mailbox owner can do this via the Delegates dialog.

Open the Delegates dialog:
Outlook 2003 and Outlook 2007
Tools-> Options-> tab Delegates
Outlook 2010 and Outlook 2013
File-> Account Settings-> Delegate Access
Select the Delegate.
Click the Permissions button.
At the bottom select the option: “Delegate can see my private items”.

The mailbox isn't a user's per se, it is a corporate mailbox that three staff members have access to.

It's the member support departmental mailbox.

So the domain account associated with the mailbox isn't in use or logged on at any time.

Is there a setting in exchange to do the same thing?

Also how would a mailbox not used by the domain account have private items?

Also there are way more than 5 subfolders , so it can't be as simple as that :-(

"In complete darkness we are all the same, it is only our knowledge and wisdom that separates us, don't let your eyes deceive you."

"If a shortcut was meant to be easy, it wouldn't be a shortcut, it would be the way!"

>how would a mailbox not used by the domain account have private items?

There are a number of ways. e.g. the default sensitivity level for the mailbox for sent mail. And people could be sending mails marked private.

For MS Exchange problems you will probably get more assistance in the relevant Exchange version forum.

Chris.

Indifference will be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?
Time flies like an arrow, however, fruit flies like a banana.
Webmaster Forum

Well the problem is some senders were emailing the mailbox with private messages. So thanks for that Mike you were spot on!

However, the support people who run our server are such numpties, they can't set the right permissions, so added a mailbox profile to outlook and now the user has to come out of their own email and log onto the shared mailbox.

So I tried your suggestion while in the mailbox from Outlook, but got this error...

outlook_pnqfyu.png

So I asked them to set the correct permission so this could be configured and the response I got was...

Why would xxxxxx need to have delegate access over that mail box?

I give up! [curse][banghead][hairpull3]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back