Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Outlook 2007 no longer works with gmail

Status
Not open for further replies.

pjw001

Technical User
Aug 12, 2002
GB
A few days ago Outlook 2007 stopped sending and receiving emails via gmail accounts. I suspect it is due to a change to gmail's authentication method.

Have searched for solutions and tried various suggestions but have failed to get it working.

Is anyone able to help please?

Have made some progress with this in that I have used the "Manage third-party access" facility to generate a password and use that in Outlook.

Am now trying to do the same for another mail account but the facility to generate the password does not show up.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Hi pjw001

Thanx for the reply.

I also cannot find "manage third party access" in my gmail account.
Perhaps google removed it cos users use it to frustrate google's
new security requirements (which I suspect are more to protect google
than users from the consequences of unauthorised mail access).

Thunderbird 38.5.0 will "install" on Vista and the install offers OAUTH2
access (which must be selected to recognise the mail servers),

But it's not usable, at least on Vista.
Problems include "invalid security certificates" for which exceptions can't be applied,
It crashes or just disappears from view leaving the process running, and it refuses to
allow the user the selection of a mail folder other than the default offered, with the
message that the user folder is unsuitable.

By fiddling with Gmail settings I've got the pop server to work with Win Mail
but not the smtp. I'll have to use my IP account to send though this defeats the
purpose of gmail to provide email a/cs independent of an IP.

If I find a mail client which works with Gmail and Vista I'll post

john

Hi John,

I have managed to get gmail working with both Outlook and Thunderbird, probably more by luck than judgment.

Here are the notes I made or what I did.

Firstly note that it is the Google account that you need to access. (You said you went into your gmail account.)

So:

Click on the Security option on the left;

In the search box at the top enter "App Passwords" (without the quotes);

Select "App Passwords";

You now need to confirm your Google account password, so enter the password and click "Next";

In the next screen click "Select app" choose "Other" and enter a name;

Click "Generate" and note down the 16 character code created.

For Outlook you need enter the code generated above as the password.

Thunderbird was working anyway and I don't think I ever entered a code. On the Security screen (as used above) if I scroll down there is a box titled "Third-part apps with account access" and Thunderbird (and its Google Calendar add-on) are listed.

I hope this helps.

The mail account that I used with Outlook had both POP and IMAP enabled.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back