Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Outlook 2007 missing icons 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bluejay07

Programmer
Mar 9, 2007
CA
Hello,

Here's a weird situation.
In outlook 2007, all icons seem to be missing.

The standard toolbar shows words like New, Reply, Send/Receive but no icons.
The inbox does not show attachment, new message, reply, forward icons beside the message.
View | Toolbar | Customize | Commands do not show any icons.

Hovering the mouse over the area on the standard bar still shows the shortcut (ex. print, delete) but no icons.

I have already deleted and rebuild the iconcache.db file in %userprofile%\AppData\Local.
The computer has been restarted.

This only seems to affect outlook. Quick toolbar icons in excel and word still seem to display.

Any suggestions on how I can get the icons to reappear in Outlook?

Thanks.

If at first you don't succeed, then sky diving wasn't meant for you!

More information:

This appears to be an issue with the extended monitor.

All is fine on the main monitor.
As soon as I move outlook to the second monitor and hover the mouse over the icons, they disappear.
Closing and re-opening outlook on the second monitor does not allow the icons to reappear.
Moving outlook to the main screen, closing it and opening it from there allows the icons to reappear.

More testing.

Unplugging one monitor, no icon problems when only using one monitor.

The main monitor was on the right side and extra monitor was on the left side.
I changed the settings so that the main monitor is on the left side and the extra monitor is on the right side.

By changing the position of the main/extended monitors, this helped the situation.

Currently, outlook icons are present for both monitors and mouse hover doesn't affect them.

Why would the extended monitor work from left to right but creates problems when going from right to left?

Thank you.

I have exactly the same symptom you reported on all 3 previous posts.

This happened immediately after my company deployed the MS update 2017-08 Security Monthly Quality Rollup for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB4034664).

I cannot rollback to see if it solves the problem, because it centrally deployed and admin locked, but hope this helps you.

Hi Vitor,

I found KB4034664 was installed yesterday and that is when the problems started.
I reverted the screens to the original configuration and uninstalled the update.

So far everything seems to be back to normal.
Outlook opened on the extended screen with all icons and mouse hover is not removing them.

Thank you for the reply and the details you provided.

Hi, thanks for the feedback! Glad I could help!

Could this patch be breaking the graphic drivers? What's the graphics HW on those machines that you had with this behaviour?
Mine has an Intel HD4400 (Integrated).

Probably not primary culprit, since it only affects Outlook... :(

Hello,

I don't have the specifics at the moment although I know it does use an AMD HD series card.
Something in that update definitely affects something.

Thank you so much for the posting as we have several employees with this issue. Based on the info shared we were able to duplicate the issue, although the issue does not happen between two IS employees who have the same model/firmware PC (different monitors).

Hi Eddie,

Perhaps the two computers that are fine haven't yet installed the patch.
On my computer, the settings are to download updates but not to install them.
Or it could be a lucky co-incidence.

Victor,
Thanks for the additional info.
Just as one comment stated, in my case, the user logged in was the only user on the machine and does have full administrative privileges at it still happened.

I have a similar issue in outlook 2010 on server 2008 r2 delivered through citrix. Switching the primary monitor corrects the issue

Hi jhulbe,

Thanks for letting us know.

Hi Eddie,

Thank you for posting the patch for the update.
Unfortunately I am not able to test this update.

The computer in question had a hard drive crash and we replaced it with a Windows 10 machine.
Other computers either have not had it installed yet or the monitor configuration is different and doesn't affect the display.

Thanks for all the feedback everyone has provided.

Thanks for linking the KB from Microsoft. Just installed this and tested on 2 machines that were facing the issue and this resolved the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back