Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Outlook 2007 Lost Shortcut Keys

Status
Not open for further replies.

alcharger

Technical User
Feb 7, 2003
US
I have a user who is running xp with office 2007. In Outlook he lost most of ht Alt shortcut key options. (ie. alt r for open and reply). Has anone seen this?

I use MSW07, and I create templates for every type of document I commonly use. In MSW00 every style and macro was hot-keyed. In MSW07, with the old templates converted to DOTX and with new DOTX templates, hot-keys are, at best, erratic, and always unreliable. You never know whether they'll work or not.

It seems that, along with demanding an entire screen instead of just a window, and along with the inability to put the menu where I like, and along with the unwillingness of Word - and the rest of the 07 suite - to follow the colour-scheme in my theme, MSW07 demands the use of the mouse instead of hot-keys.

I have come to believe that it is just Bill trying to run my life. [afro2] It's wild, man!

The 'Alt' accelerator mechanism is a standard Windows mechanism but it can be overridden or subverted. Firstly, other badly behaved apps can hijack key combinations at the Windows level. Secondly the underlined letters on text in menus and toolbars can be changed, or new ones can be added that affect the action of previously visible ones. So the questions, in no particular order, are:

Is he running any software likely to hijack keys?
Is the standard toolbar in Outlook visible?
Is the "R" of "Reply" underlined?
Is there any other visible menu or toolbar item that also has "R" underlined?
Does the Alt key otherwise work?
What does happen when he presses Alt+R?

I'm not really an Outlook person, but I don't think it has the capability to arbitrarily assign key combinations to functions, so something along the above lines is likely to lead in the right direction.

Enjoy,
Tony

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We want to help you; help us to do it by reading this: Before you ask a question.

I'm working (slowly) on my own website

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back